Best LED grow lights. Keep in mind that there would be no doubt that LED grow lights are the best lights for indoor growing. However, with so many different wattages and styles of indoor garden lights, choosing the best LED grow lights can be tricky.
When you search online and find one grow light system that is popular online, it does not mean it is right for you. Without any research, it will not help you choose the best indoor grow lights, and you end up making a mistake.
What is LED grow lights?
Light Emitting Diode (LED) grow lights are energy-efficient lights, which are an excellent option for indoor growers. It is not like other grow lights; LED grows lights can be focused. It means that none is lost or dispersed between the canopy of the plants and the bulb.
LED grow lights do not burn a filament. It passes light through semiconductors to create their spectrum. LED grow lights can be utilized paired with other types of grow lights, or as a supplement to natural light, or as the lighting in a growing operation.
LED grow lights have long service lives. They can last from 50,000 to 100,000 hours.
Why choose LED grow lights?
Why should we purchase LED grow lights? They are pricy. Purchase grow lights for growing indoor plants because LED grow lights are better for the environment than other types of grow lights, your electricity bill will not climb, and your indoor plants will thrive well.
The LED grow lights are fundamentally different from conventional light sources such as gas-discharge lamps, fluorescent, and incandescent. These grow lights do not use any filament, no lead, no mercury, no gas.
They have no failure-prone moving parts and fragile glass bulbs. LED grow lights are green. The LED grow lights are longer-lasting, more durable, more efficient, more versatile than incandescent lighting.
LED grow lights are cool to the touch. There are numerous different types of grow light, such as ceramic metal halide (CMH), High-Pressure Sodium (HPS), High-Intensity Discharge or HID grow lights, Metal Halide, and fluorescent lights.
All of these types have their buyers, applications, and supporters. The best all-around indoor plant grows lights are LED (Light Emitting Diodes) plant lights. Reasons for growing with LED lights:
- LED grow lights are energy-efficient lights and last for up to 50,000 hours or a little bit more. If you are using them 12 hours per day, it will take 11 years of life. Many people consider LEDs are expensive, and LEDs have a higher upfront cost than HPS. However, LEDs are cheaper than HPS to run long-term because of their reduced power consumption.
- These grow lights usually do not need a separate ballast, and they can be plugged into a regular socket.
- These LED grow lights produce much less heat than others such as HPS grow lights. They can be relocated closer to your plants without any risk. By producing less heat, you can expend less energy maintaining the correct temperature in the grow location.
- LED grow lights can be customized to emit a particular wavelength of light. You can have green, red and blue LED grow lights that will help plants thrive better. With LED grow lights, you can adjust the color balance to fit the specific plant type.
- LED grow lights do not have harmful mercury. LED grow lights are the best choice for the environment.
How to choose the right LED grow lights
1. Wavelength output
There are many claims that plants cannot grow in LED grow lights. Such claims may be correct. However, that changed with the discovery of blue LEDs. When we talk about light, it is the part of the Electromagnetic radiation spectrum that can be seen by the human eye. For plants, there are specific wavelengths that are important for development, growth, and photosynthesis.
PAR or photosynthetically active radiation has a definition by the range of wavelengths. Prior scientists have determined that they are essential for plants. It corresponds with the light wavelengths that are visible to the human eye.
Within these PAR ranges, specific wavelengths promote plants to grow flowers or vegetation. Some wavelengths may also limit growth in some species of plants. According to scientific experiments, blue and red light wavelengths are especially important for plants. We could not make horticultural lighting with LED lights alone.
When you are purchasing LED grow lights, you have to consider the importance of wavelengths emitted. LEDs are designed to work well for human vision. LEDs are not to emphasize the reds and blues which we know plants need.
The wattage can tell how much energy input one light needs. Watts is a useful measure because the electricity input is related to the total light intensity output, which is measured in lumens. A watt is a unit of power, noting the rate of electricity used.
The output of an LED light is not a function of Watt input. The LED lights are determined by the quality of its design and the quality of its, such as heat sink, the driver, the LED chip used, optics used, and chip density.
LED lights can become less efficient at the time when wattage increases. The additional wattage is caused by increased temperatures in the electronic circuit board. This will cause a decrease in LED efficiency. An LED light driven at 3 Watts emits about three times less than the same light LED driven at 1 Watt.
LED Habitat PAR output is measured with an Apogee Quantum sensor at a distance to plant tops is consistent >420 µmol m-2s-1. If an LED grow light manufacturer is telling about Watts as a measure of the ability to grow plants, you should be cautious.
3. Lumens, PAR, and Lux
Professionals growers, hobby growers, and light manufacturers use different terms to describe grow lights. It would be tricky to compare many different light systems.
What we can use for terms are what are commonly used in lighting and their significance for plants. Lumens are a unit of measure that gives an account in words the total quantity of light from the spectrum that is emitted from a source of light. What matters most is to know how much light will reach your indoor plants.
The key is the way plants absorb and use light. This key is why we have to measure the light output from grow lights. Illuminance is the measure of the quantity of light that reaches out to any surface. Illuminance is defined as lux or lumens per meter squared. Lux is not recommended for growing plants.
PAR is the measurement that provides us the most helpful information for comparing these grow lights. The units of measurement for PAR is µmol m-2s-1. If an LED grow lights describe output in terms of lumens, it is useful for choosing a grow light.
High-quality LED grow lights will give you information about the distribution of the light wavelengths emitted by the light. Other information provided, including the size of the area intended to be illuminated, and information about a measure of energy available for photosynthesis at the plant level. Spectroradiometer is an accurate measurement to see a graph of the wavelengths emitted by LED grow lights. However, they are very expensive instruments that are used only by light manufacturers who lack plant biologists.
4. Light intensity
While measuring PAR, lux, and lumens using a light meter, try different distances from many light sources. You will discover that the farther you move away from the light source, the light intensity decreases. This relationship between distance and light intensity or light output is a physical law or inverse square law. This law behaves the same to every grow light.
If a brand boasts about a grow light system with a large footprint, the light’s output must be far more significant with the LED grow lights positioned high above the plants to spread light throughout that footprint. A high-quality LED grow lights will tell how close plants can be grown to their light source. A well designed LED grow lights operate cool enough that leaf tissue can touch the LED grow lights without harm. This matter means these lights can be kept closer to plants where light output is at the highest.
The heat from LEDs comes off their circuit board, where high-quality grow lights use heat sinks to decrease it efficiently. Light intensity is one of the most crucial measurements to know when comparing grow lights. Too much light intensity burns plant tissue seedlings’ responses to 2 light treatments: 350 and 1000 µmol m-2s-1.
5. Chip quality
A high-quality diode manufacturing is rather expensive. Each diode must be produced according to some accurate specifications to maintain its integrity and to emit the correct wavelengths.
Many reputable manufacturers use advanced technological processes to make sure the diodes they produce are highly durable and emit the correct light wavelengths. There are also cheaply produced LEDs that focus on attracting low budget shoppers who do not care about LED’s quality. Those cheap LEDs may not or may emit the required wavelengths that indoor plants require.
Their emitted light intensity can change in wavelength or decline within months and weeks after use starts, and those diodes heat. The quantity of light emitted (measured in PAR photon irradiance or lumens) decreases after continuous use. Incandescent light bulb output decreases much more rapidly than LEDs.
High-quality LED luminaires can retain 70% of their initial output for more than 50,000 hours, depending on many factors.
Best choices for the best LED grow lights:
- BESTVA DC Series 2000W LED Grow Light
- King Plus 2000W Double Chips LED Grow Light
- Advanced Platinum Series P600 LED Grow Light
- VIPARSPECTRA LED Grow Light
- HIGROW LED Grow Light
- Roleadro LED Grow Light
- Roleadro Full Spectrum Grow Light
- FINNEST Reflector Series LED Grow Light
1. BESTVA DC Series 2000W LED Grow Light
- This product is an excellent affordable grow lights option. The ‘double chips’ feature means they have double LED chips. This consists of two 5W LEDs (total of 10W per LED). The grow lights come with a dimmer function. This feature is to avoid plant ‘LED bleaching.’ It will require one external timer to switch the lights off for any recommended cooling period, such as every five to six hours.
|12.2 x 8.26 x 2.36-inches
2. King Plus 2000W Double Chips LED Grow Light
- This grows lights product is the most powerful LED grow light by KingLED. The grow light is brighter compare to other grow lights in this price range, and it is producing little heat. It features 10W double chips and with better construction. The grow lights come with a 4 PC fan cooling system for maximum performance and cooling. Unfortunately, it operates louder than other grow lights with its efficiency at cooling. This product is also an excellent choice for the price.
|20.9 x 8.3 x 2.4-inches
|2,000 watt (200pcs x 10w)
|4.5 x 8 feet
|85 volt-265 volt
3. Advanced Platinum Series P600 LED Grow Light
- This is probably the best 600 watt LED grow light. The Advanced Platinum P600 is equipped with 200 3W LEDs. They are manufactured in the USA. The LEDs are integrated 90-degree secondary focusing lenses. These LEDs have a 12-band spectrum with creating minimal heat. You can set individual settings for the vegetation and bloom stages of growth. The build is a professional quality LED grow lights and are intended for serious indoor growers.
|36 x 3 x 9-inches
|200 x 3 watt
|5 x 2/2.5 feet.
|AC 85 volt-260 volt
4. VIPARSPECTRA LED Grow Light
- This grows lights product gives 12-band full spectrum light. Due to its value for money, it is instead very popular. It can offer a daisy chain connection with other lights. It equipped with switches for vegetation and bloom cycles. The 200 watts of power grow lights produce a little bit more heat compared to some of the other grow lights options. The product is an excellent supplement to your LED grows room, or a good starter grow lights.
|16.1 x 8.3 x 2.8-inches
|200 Watt ±3% at 120 Volt
|2.5 x 2.5 feet
5. HIGROW LED Grow Light
- The grow lights are manufactured by HIGROW that makes a good quality 600 watts for the price. To concentrate the light, the LEDs have 90-degree optical lenses. You can set the individual bloom and veg setting with a switch. It provides a good cooling system. The total energy consumed is around 250 watts, which makes it highly energy efficient. This is the best full spectrum LED grow lights on a limited budget.
|16.2 x 10.5 x 2.6-inches
|3 x 3feet
6. Roleadro LED Grow Light
- This affordable GalaxyHydro is a rather popular choice for many indoor growers. They provide a decent level of quality for the lower price. The product offers full-spectrum lights and can be daisy-chained. It is equipped with an auto timer for scheduling. It isn’t very quiet in operation but with the cooler run.
|15.8 × 8.3 × 2.4-inch
|140 watt ±5%
7. Roleadro Full Spectrum Grow Light
- This grows lights offer a broader spectrum of light. Instead of just red and blue light, it provides your indoor plants with everything they require from sunlight. This environment will bring better-looking buds, healthier growth, and greener plants. It is the perfect choice to operate the whole cycle for plant growth.
- Two 800 Watt COB grow lights (or more) can be connected with the included power cord. It would help if you had fewer power cords and can expand the light coverage. The condition will save time, save money, and save energy. It can provide the best solution to grow lights.
- The grow light comes with a 90° reflector that creates a wilder lighting area. The full lighting area means an increase of brightness level and creates an excellent output.
- The grow lights come with 30 days money-back guarantee and 2 years warranty.
|14.2 x 9.4 x 5.5-inches
|300 Watt ±5%
8. FINNEST Reflector Series LED Grow Light
- This grow light comes with four functions of the remote control. The remote control can be operated as a moisture meter, thermometer, timer, and remote control. There is a light reflector to maximize brighter and more focused lights so that the indoor plants get more light.
- It comes with a veg switch that is white led and blue led. For young vegetative or seeding growth, use the Veg switch only. For blooming or flowering growth (red led, and white led), use Veg and Bloom switches.
- The grow light is equipped with an advanced cooling system that can provide multiple high-speed silent fans. As well as an upgraded aluminum radiator to let the bulb operating at 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is much less than any other grow light. At these low temperatures, the light will not burn the indoor plants. This condition can increase yield and increase lighting time. The KingLED manufacturer provides 30 days free return.
|13.2 x 11.6 x 2.4-inches
|3.5′ x 3.5′
Are LED grow lights any good?
LED grow lights are excellent because they are durable, provide a light spectrum for indoor plants, and they are energy-efficient. They illuminate a room full of indoor plants well, and they give a nice warm glow. They can emit a little portion of photosynthetic light. They provide small energy for plant growth.
How many plants can I grow under 1000 watt LED grow light?
With 1000 watts LED grow lights, it can cover 20 sq ft (4×5) area of indoor plants. With this area, you can grow up to twenty plants.
How much does it cost to run a 1000 watt LED grow light?
Depending on the electricity prices, a 1000 watt LED will cost $500 – $900 each year of use.
How much does it cost to run a grow room?
The average cost of Grow Room Setup is about $42 per square foot. These cost figures can fluctuate based on numerous factors, from workflow design to building type.
How Many Plants Can I Grow?
Each indoor plant needs at least 1 square foot of space. Most LED grow lights can cover about 1 to 6 plants. For more plants than this, purchase multiple lights to hang side by side or daisy-chaining to cover the canopy and make sure each plant is getting enough light.
Why grow with LEDs?
LED grow lights have been through so many changes and ehancements, and have proven the effectiveness and efficiency for growing plants indoor. Here is the reason why:
- LED grow lights are not like HIDs that require heat up gases or metal to high temperatures. There is minimal radiation generated by LEDs. The heat of the LEDs creates only a minor addition which will not create overheated conditions in the grow room.
- LEDs consume around 465 watts producing a similar intensity as a 1,000 watts HID. This means you save energy and cost compared to HIDs. Without ventilation and cooling equipment the cost would be much reduced.
- LED grow lights can provide precise wavelengths for better growth. Plants in the grow room only absorb specific wavelengths of light. LEDs give your plants needs so these plants get as many wavelengths as possible.